Installing amx mod x manually
This guide will help you install AMX Mod X without the assistance of an automated tool.
There are a few ways you can install AMX Mod X. If you have shell or direct access to your server, you can do all pf the operations directly on the server itself. If you only have FTP access, it's best to install AMX Mod X on a "dummy" folder on your hard drive, do all configuration there, and then upload the files to your server. Otherwise, you can upload the files as you're installing and then use FTP to change things along the way.
Throughout the documentation we'll refer to your "mod folder" - this is the folder your mod is stored in, like "cstrike" (for Counter-Strike), or "dod" (for Day of Defeat). If you're installing on a listen server, it will be in \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\<your steam login>\<Valve game or Half-Life>\<mod folder>. If you're using a dedicated server, it will be HLServer\<mod folder>. On linux this is hlds_l/<mod folder>. If you are using remote/FTP access, you may be restricted to your mod folder or hlds_l already, and don't need to find it. For this documentation, <mod folder> will refer to the mod folder mentioned above. For Linux users, binaries will not end in ".dll", they will usually end in "_i386.so" or "_amd64.so" for AMD64 machines.
You should familiarize yourself with AMX Mod X's directory structure. The addons folder resides in your mod folder.
--addons - this is where Server addons go |--metamod - this is where Metamod goes. Metamod is necessary to run AMX Mod X |--dlls - this is where Metamod's binaries go |--amxmodx - this is where AMX Mod X goes |--dlls - amxmodx_mm.dll should go here |--modules - Where modules are stored (_amxx.dll or _amxx_i386.so etc) |--plugins - Where plugins are stored (.amx or .amxx) |--scripting - Where example source code and the compiler/assembler are stored |--include - Where include files for source code is stored |--compiled - Where the compiler batch file stores .amxx output |--doc - This documentation is kept here |--data - Binary data, for example saved stats, language caches, and GeoIP information |--lang - Dictionary text files for AMX Mod X ML features (multi lingual) |--configs - Configuration files |--logs - AMX Mod X log files
- In your mod folder, create a folder called "addons".
- In <mod folder>\addons, create a folder called "metamod".
- In <mod folder>\addons\metamod, create a folder called "dlls".
- Go to the Metamod Website and download Metamod. You will want to get either the Windows DLL or the Linux SO (for either 32bit Linux or Linux on AMD64).
- Extract the metamod file and upload or copy it to your server. It must be placed in <mod folder>\addons\metamod\dlls.
- In your mod folder, find the "liblist.gam" file. Open the file with a text editor, such as notepad. If you're using FTP or a control panel, you will need to download the file first.
- For Windows, find this line:
- Replace it with this line:
- Replace it with this line: (for servers using hldsupdatetool)
- Replace it with this line: (for servers using steamcmd)
- (Note: AMD64 is no longer supported for various reasons, please use 32bit)
- Save liblist.gam (and upload it over the old one if your server is remote).
- Edit the file <mod folder>\addons\metamod\plugins.ini. If it does not exist, create it. This file is your list of Metamod plugins.
- For Windows, add
For Linux add:
- Save (and upload) plugins.ini.
Installing AMX Mod X
- Go to www.amxmodx.org and click "Downloads". Download the amxmodx-base package for either Windows or Linux.
- Extract the base package to your mod folder. This will place AMX Mod X into <mod folder>\addons\amxmodx. If you're uploading over FTP, you should extract it to a dummy location first (like your desktop).
- Go back to the AMX Mod X download site. If there is an addon pack for your mod available, and you want to use it, download the addon package corresponding to your mod. As of this writing, addon packs are available for Counter-Strike/Condition-Zero, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, The Specialists, Natural Selection, and Earth's Special Forces. Make sure you download the pack that corresponds to the server's operating system, either Windows, Linux, or Linux.
- Extract the addon pack to the same place as before, it should simply add more files to your AMX Mod X installation.
- If you're using FTP, upload the addons folder.
- AMX Mod X should now be installed! You can type "meta list" in your server console to see if it was successful.
- You can now move on to Configuring AMX Mod X. If you encountered problems, see Troubleshooting AMX Mod X.